Painting your house is a great way to give it a bit more character. If you have been thinking about changing the color and style of your house, you might be wondering how expensive it is. So, how much does it cost to paint your house?
While the amount can vary, you can expect the cost to paint you home to fall somewhere between these values:
|Table of Estiamted Painting Costs, in USD|
Fancy, complex painting
|$2,000 – $4,000||$3,000 – $6,000||$5,000 – $12,000+*|
|$3,000 – $7,000||$5,000 – $10,000||$9,000 – $18,000+*|
|$6,000 – $12,000||$5,000 – $18,000||$16,000 -$30,000+*|
|$10,000 – $30,000||$15,000 – $45,000||$25,000 – $70-000+*|
What’s in cost of house painting?
For a seemingly simple task, there is a lot that goes into the cost of painting. A few things that go into the price of a painting job:
- Type of product being used (latex paint, semi-transparent, solid stain etc.)
- How tall the house is
- Whether the house is mostly flat or has complex, curving or narrow spaces
- The material you are painting on (wood, metal, masonry)
- How easy it is to access all the surfaces of your home
- How much prep work is involved
- whether there are taxes, regulations, small business expenses, etc that boost the cost of owning a painting business
Is painting cheaper than siding?
Siding is usually more expensive than painting your home. While painting can be done for only a few thousand, you shouldn’t expect to get any siding for less than $9,000.00. Large homes can easily cost tens of thousands to side with paneling.
As an example, let’s take a medium-sized home with a little prep work. Siding would cost $16,000-$24,000. Painting a comparable house would cost $5,000-$10,000. Of course, the price does depend on the complexity of the job. If there is lots of damage to the structure of the home that needs to be prepared for painting, that drives the cost up. In that case it might be a little cheaper to just side the house. But rotten wood is one of the few times that siding might be considered cheaper than painting a home.