Glad to have this awesome information from our friends at Bornstein Sons Inc. Enjoy!
Energy Efficiency….as energy prices continue to rise, this terminology has become more relevant and much more important
It seems Mother Nature doesn’t give us a ‘heads-up’ when the season changes…we often go from daily temperature in the high 60s to a plummet into the low 30s. That’s our warning that it’s time to shift gears and focus on ‘winter-mode’. Here are some tips:
- Have your furnace, boiler or ductless system serviced by a heating professional. Studies show that properly maintained equipment operates more efficiently.
- Be sure your windows and doors are properly caulked eliminating drafts.
- Take advantage of your ceiling fan to circulate the warmth.
- Be sure to change your disposable filter monthly to keep your air flow robust.
- Consider upgrading your furnace or boiler to today’s high efficiency heating systems. You’ll save a minimum of 15% on energy costs depending on the age of your system. (NOTE: There are no high efficiency steam boilers unfortunately, but they are fantastic systems!)
- Let the sun warm your home by opening drapers, blinds and shades to allow the sun in. (It makes sense when you think about your pet and the warm, sunny spot it retreats to.)
- Winterize your outdoor plumbing. A professional should be consulted for this annual task. This way, you’re sure to avoid frozen pipes that will split in the spring.
Bonnie Bornstein Fertel is co-owner of Bornstein Sons, Inc., along with her husband, Richard Fertel. Bornstein Sons is a 3rd Generation Family owned and operated business providing Heating, Air Conditioning, Plumbing, Solar and Electrical repair, maintenance and installation services in Northern New Jersey.